HP-UX 11i System ManagementSystem Fault Management
Content starts here
Prevent unnecessary outages with built-in health management
System Fault Management (SFM):
- Monitors the health of HP server hardware such as memory, busses, cross-bar fabric, CPUs, power supplies, and cooling devices
- Captures critical system state information needed to diagnose Machine Check faults
- Send alerts to administrators and datacenter management tools such as SIM, using the Web-based Enterprise Management (WBEM) environment
- Includes EVWEB, a tool to allow administrators to easily view and administer the WEBEM indications (alerts) generated by SFM
- Delivered with HP-UX, with ongoing releases available from the Web through the HP-UX Diagnostics Products Collection
System Fault Management (SFM) is a suite of advanced hardware fault technologies that protects hardware against failures and reports predictive information and corrective action. SMF is built into HP-UX.
SFM allows configuration of notification thresholds for reporting predictive information and corrective action events so that administrators can have a customized level of reporting. SFM uses the industry standards-based Common Information Model (CIM) specifications to send administrative reports over a network (XML over HTTP).
How it works
SFM uses WBEM, a Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF) standard, to protect hardware against failures that could interrupt system operation by providing advanced system level monitoring capabilities. SFM integrates with commercial enterprise management solutions, such as HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM), using industry-standard Web-Based Enterprise Management (WBEM) instrumentation. Integration with standards-compliant system management applications, such as HP SIM, provides a holistic and comprehensive view of the monitored systems.
At a Glance
Highlights of SFM providers include the following:
- The CPU Instance Provider gathers information about the processor inventory and health
- The Memory Instance Provider collects the memory inventory and consolidates the health records of the memory subsystem
- The Environmental Providers gathers information about cooling, temperature, power, and system voltages
- The Record Log Provider enables MCA Record Log analysis by HP Support tools and Insight Remote Support Advanced systems
Webcasts and demosTechnical documentation Related solutions