HP StoreOpenGet the most from your tape storage solutions with LTO technology and HP Linear Tape File System
Allows the use of standard file operations on LTO-5 and LTO-6 Tape Media
Is your data protection and archive constrained by the ability to easily access, update and share files stored on tape? From early on, HP LTO-5 Ultrium Tape Drives featured Linear Tape File System (LTFS) functionality and now it is also available with HP LTO-6 Ultrium Tape Drives. With HP StoreOpen Standalone and HP StoreOpen Automation, HP has simplified the process of using LTFS so it is even easier to take advantage of this new technology.
LTFS makes tape self-describing, file-based, and easy-to-use and provides users with the ability to use standard file operations on tape media for accessing, managing and sharing files with an interface that behaves just like a hard disk. In addition, LTFS provides the ability to share data across platforms, as you would with a USB drive or memory stick. Simply load a tape into the drive, mount it into the file system, and it becomes visible as a disk.
HP StoreOpen Standalone is an application that helps LTFS users to use and manage single tape drives. Available for Windows and Mac environments, it provides a native GUI with a familiar look and feel. It is installed automatically as part of the LTFS package and it completely removes the need for low-level terminal commands by guiding users through the full process of selecting, preparing and mounting an LTFS cartridge. Linux users can install and use LTFS by downloading the correct LTFS code and following the step-by-step installation procedure as outlined in the LTFS User Guide.
The HP StoreOpen Automation free application extends the LTFS functionality by presenting a tape library and its tape cartridges as a collection of folders for easy data access and management. All media movement is handled automatically by the application.
Whether you need a single tape drive or a tape library solution, HP StoreOpen with LTFS technology enables easy data storage and transport between systems.
Simpler and more affordable for volume data exchange and long term archival
By upgrading to HP LTO-6 Tape Drives many application areas are already able to cut storage space, reduce energy and lower operational costs. Now with the addition of the LTFS feature and HP StoreOpen, they can also benefit from easier access to files in archive, and from greater data mobility by simplifying the sharing of larger files:
- Media industry video archive
- CAD/CAM files used in design and drawing content for manufacturing, architecture etc.
- Hi-resolution images such as Medical X-Rays or other Health industry images
- Surveillance video
- Information archival for e-discovery purposes
HP StoreOpen: designed to enhance file system management on tape
In addition to the wide range of benefits that HP LTO-5 and LTO-6 Tape Drive solutions have to offer, HP LTO-5 and LTO-6 Tape Drives and Automation with Linear Tape File System (LTFS) functionality also delivers:
- Faster access to data: When a tape or library is mounted, the files and directories stored on it can appear on the desktop in the same way as a disk directory listing.
- Simple drag and drop: LTFS increases ease of use, simply drag and drop files to and from the tape.
- Compatibility across your environment:Tape media written using LTFS is self-describing so that data recovery from tape is independent of any hardware or software platforms.
- Increased data mobility: Easily share content to increase data mobility; tapes written with LTFS can be exchanged more easily between users working in different operating systems, using different software and in different locations.
- A single storage media standard: Unify organization-wide file sharing with HP LTO-5 and LTO-6 Tape Drive solutions. Tapes can move across libraries and vendors with the ease of video-cassettes, while files on tape can be accessed using straight-forward drag-and-drop.
How to implement LTFS with HP LTO-5 and LTO-6 Tape Drives and HP StoreOpen
The LTFS technology requires a software download that contains the “run-time” executable (Windows, Linux & MacOS) that writes files in LTFS format on an LTO-5 tape or LTO-6.
HP StoreOpen Automation is required to be installed on customer servers supporting Enterprise Linux or MacOS X with connection and support of HP tape libraries.
HP StoreOpen Standalone is required to be installed on a customer server supporting Windows or MacOS X with connection and support for HP LTO-5 or LTO-6 tape drives.