Direct I/O can increase I/O throughput to 30 to 50 percent of LVM raw performance.
Concurrent I/O is available in OnlineJFS, the license for which is included in the HP-UX 11i v3 High Availability Operating Environment (HA-OE), Virtual Server Environment (VSE-OE) and Data Center Operating Environment (DC-OE); note that these OE’s ship with 4.1 and 5.0.1 OnlineJFS, and the bits for the 5.0 version are supported.
This ability for 5.0.1 OnlineJFS can increase performance to 80-99.9 percent of LVM raw performance. OnlineJFS can also be purchased separately for use with the BOE.
Change to default filesystem in HP-UX 11i
- Short and sweet: As of November, 2009, OnlineJFS’ maximum filesystem size has been increased from 32 TB to 256 TB.
- In September 2011, the default filesystem included with HP-UX 11i v3 Update 8 changed from VxFS 5.0 to 5.0.1.
Thin provisioning with space reclamation
Thin Provisioning creates virtual disk drives—LUNs, or Logical Units—that can appear to be larger than their actual physical capacities. If a LUN needs more storage, the array can increase the amount of physical space it uses, without changing the size presented to the application. This “just-enough” and “just-in-time” storage allocation results in huge savings from both a capital and an operational perspective. Now you can take advantage of improved storage ROI with Thin Provisioning in 5.0.1 OnlineJFS, running over VxVM.
Direct I/O improves performance in Base-VxFS and Concurrent I/O doubles performance in OnlineJFS
Occasionally, customers opt out of using a filesystem because they are concerned about performance degradation. For example, users of large databases sometimes feel they must choose either manageability or performance, sacrificing one for other.
5.0.1 Base-VxFS and OnlineJFS solve the trade-off problem for a variety of environments by delivering significant performance improvements, giving customers the ability to have both performance and manageability. Direct I/O is available through Base-VxFS 5.0.1.
- Base-VxFS 5.0.1 is a free download from HP Software Depot and is included in the HP-UX 11i v3 Base Operating Environment.
- OnlineJFS 5.0.1 (VxFS Full) requires independent media and a codeword, which is available to all HP-UX 11i v3 HA-OE, VSE-OE, and DC-OE customers. OnlineJFS is also available to be purchased standalone for BOE customers for a separate license cost.
- For both Base-VxFS and OnlineJFS, if you are a Software Update Manager (SUM) customer enjoying the benefits of HP support, you will receive an email notification about the new version. Non-SUM customers with support will receive a hard copy notification.